Plants look after us if we look after them
The Zantedeschia or Calla is a classic beauty with a colourful calyx, sunny temperament and African roots. This plant was minding its own business in South Africa, when one afternoon during the eighteenth century Giovanni Zantedeschi, an Italian explorer, stumbled past and took the plant back with him to his native country. There the newcomer was named after the intrepid traveller: Zantedeschia. These days the plant is better known as Calla, although some people prefer to call it ‘chalice’, as according to myth the Greeks drank from the flower’s cup. The Zantedeschia may be a classic, but it also has a rougher side. For this reason, depending on the type of pot selected, the Calla will enhance any number of interior styles. Growers of this product: Vreugdenhil Bulbs & Plants and HL Hogervorst.
- Favourite plant for indoors and outdoors.
- Good light, but no bright sunlight.
- Do not leave excess water in saucer/dish.
- Apply fertiliser twice a month.
- After flowering can be planted without pot in a sunny spot in the garden.