Plants look after us if we look after them
The Platycerium is also known as the staghorn or elkhorn fern due to its strange shape. However it is precisely this element of strangeness that also makes the plant so attractive. You can place it anywhere: on a table, in the window, in a robust pot, standing in a corner of a cupboard or hanging from a basket. To limit evaporation and to catch any passing humidity, the leaves are coated in a greyish white felt-like layer. This layer must never be wiped off. Our Platycerium grower Chris van den Heuvel advises: “The plant has a ‘resting’ period from October to March, and needs less water (but never let it dry out).”
- Semi-shade, no direct sunlight.
- Suitable for dark positions.
- Ideal temperature 18 - 22 ºC.
- Water in the saucer/decorative pot.
- Apply fertiliser once a month.
- Favours high atmospheric humidity.
- Do not spray.
- Do not attempt to dust.